Thursday, February 12, 2009

Look what the wind blew in -

Disclaimer: Rant full speed ahead.

So, in my adult job, I've got two feet firmly planted on the world of retail. This used to require excellent customer service. Crucial elements for any sales person include, but are certainly not limited to, establishing a report with your customers, "May I help you,?" at the bitter minimum a smile and acknowledgment of guests that are currently in a position to keep your company afloat or to keep you in a job.

Why is it that we now promote and hire people who are inefficient, impolite, unhelpful, and generally terrible in the customer service arena? I can think of a few exceptions of places I'm generally always happy to support because they make me feel like they appreciate the hard-earned money I am spending on their watch. Chick - Fil- A and Trader Joes top my list of places that I can 99% of the time say - it was a pleasure to shop/or do business here. Walgreens and Food Lion are at the bottom of the barrel.

Why do we as consumers allow this behavior? I don't consider myself to be a curmudgeon, nor do I need to be coddled by every sales person in the building. I've seen examples of poor management left and right and up and down, and I just don't understand how it got to be this way? What is the solution? As a general rule, I like to support local and family owned businesses and restaurants instead of the big box stores, but sometimes I don't or can't. Sometimes their customer service is just as notorious as Abercrombie & Fitch.

What gives?

No comments:

Post a Comment